This recipe was adapted from Marcella Hazan, and published in my first cookbook, Pamela Morgan’s Flavors. Unlike Marcella, I find the beans to be easier to digest with less cooking. This recipe is one of my favorites and never fails to impress! You can easily swap out your favorite pesto with this spread. It just sings of spring!
- 1 pound fresh fava beans in the pod
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remove the beans from the pods. You should have 1 ½ cups beans.
- Bring a small pan of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine the beans, cheese, oil, mint, basil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt.
- Process, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times until smooth. You may want to add extra olive oil for a smoother consistency.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve immediately with toasted or grilled Tuscan sourdough bread.